12.02.2012

Two things

So Operation V has commenced.

I'm not sure what all I'm going to do, but I have done two things. Very simple things, but still, it's something.

First I debadged the car. Not completely. It still have the Pontiac emblem front and rear, but the words "Pontiac" and "Vibe" are gone. Gives the rear of the car a nice smooth look.
I like a smooth rear.

Here's the before image.
Not horrible.
It looks the same as every other Vibe that is on the street.
(Yes I realize I'm talking about a passenger vehicle, not a sports car.)


To remove the badges, all I needed was some fishing line, a blow dryer and some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. Cut a line length of fishing line, several feet worth. Take the blow dryer and heat each letter. Check the letter so you don't overheat them and peel the paint. Once the lettering is soft and wiggles easily on the paint, take the fishing line and run it through the adhesive tape. It should slice through it easily and without trouble.
What you're left with will look like this (the image to the right).

Now take a clean rag and soak it in the 3M General Purpose Adhesive cleaner. And just rub it on the surface until the adhesive tape comes of. After that, take some hot soapy water and a sponge to clean the entire are of the 3M General Purpose Adhesive cleaner. Dry it off and bang, done.

What you get looks like this.
Again, is it vastly different than the photo above?
No, not really, but I like the way it cleans up the rear of the car. Keeps things simple.
Plus it will be nice to not have to work around that whenever I wax the car.

While that was fun and all, that was really the tip of the iceberg.
The big change in the car was the new cold-air induction system.
I picked one up online from K&N. It is their 69 Series Typhoon Air Intake System. Every review I read online said basically the same thing "Easy to install. Noticeable horsepower increase. Nice throaty sound over 3000 rpms." Sounded like a good idea to me.

After having install one, I can confirm all three of those things. This part was very easy to install. A couple hours and I had it on the vehicle. That was even with a very stubborn bracket bolt. It is definitely a noticeable horsepower increase.

K&N did a dyno test on this same engine (Toyota 2.4L) on a 2009 Scion xB. Results were a little more than 9 horsepower at about 5,000 rpm. And it does have a better exhaust sound, especially over three grand even with the stock exhaust. I'm glad I installed it.

What's next? Well, nothing immediately. Depending on funds, etc maybe a new stainless steel cat-back exhaust (which would give me another 10-15 horsepower) and put the car right about 180-185 horsepower. Maybe do something with the stock steel wheels. Replace? Repaint them and add beauty rings and spiders? Maybe some cosmetic touches under the hood. Beyond that, who knows.

Anyway, it is fun to play with wrenches on the car again.
Adios amigos.

No comments: