Back from the dead with a shaved head

About a month ago, I thought I'd retire this blog.
Started a new blog and hoped it would inspire me.
It didn't.

The blog was scattered. Felt like I was lost in the blogosphere and my compass had gone awry. I even had been considering giving up the whole blog thing. Back and forth I went. To blog or to not blog.

Then it happened.
Focus. I knew I needed a focus. I needed something specific. Not just the mindless wanderings of yet another dude on the net.

So my focus will be on...media. Not media like the news necessarily, but news like movies, books, music, other blogs, etc. Seems like a good fit, I'm a bit of a media nerd anyway. Time will tell as it always does. I won't just focus on new stuff, but stuff I like. I'm sure I'll scatter other things throughout, since it is MY blog, but I'd like to share with you the music, movies and books I love. There are plenty, so I shouldn't be at a loss for topics to cover.
Hope you enjoy.
JM

...
I've got a few things I want to write about, but to start things out, I'm taking the humor route.
Currently I think one of the most under appreciated art forms is the newspaper comic. I'm sure that's largely due to two factors a) newspaper readership has been in a steady slide down and b) the vast majority of newspaper comics SUCK.

There are a few good ones though. A favorite is RED MEAT. It's a regular feature in The Onion. It starts out with cartoon titles like "moldering melon-balls of mirth" and "brass hats for knuckleheads". It ends with a skewed and downright strange take on things. The result is one of the most consistently funny things I've ever read. Here's a sample.


The genius (or is it madman?) behind this is Max Cannon. Cannon started the strip back in 1989 for the Arizona Daily Wildcat. These days the strip is world wide. There's a great interview/article on Cannon at the Reno News Review. Cannon has a weird sense of the world, which he admits is partly inspired by his childhood. I can't even imagine that childhood.

All in all, top-shelf material.

That's all for now.
Enjoy.

Comments

Ben said…
glad you're back. That comic was awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

A lot has happened

A new year

Superior