Big screen
I don't get to see many movies in the theatre.
Not because I don't like to, in fact I love seeing movies in the theatre. If I had the money and the time, I'd see movies at the theatre on a regular basis. Certainly more often than I do. As is it, the constraints of being a single man and a Dad take precedent.
Regardless, I have always loved seeing movies on the big screen. I have such vivid memories of seeing movies as a kid at the theatre. Maybe it's because it was a treat. Perhaps it's because I was a kid, and it was such a different experience than anything else I'd ever done.
Here are a few memorable movies from my childhood that kindled my love for the big screen.
E.T. -The Extra Terrestrial: I believe I saw this with my Mom and Dad at my hometown theatre. Maybe my younger sister and my cousin. I know my cousin was there, because I have memories of him being scared shitless of E.T. Outside of that, I remember being awe-struck by seeing the movie. At the sheer size of it. At the sound, it seemed to come from everywhere. Oh ya, and I remember quickly having a crush on Drew Barrymore aka Gertie. For the record, I still have a crush on Ms. Barrymore.
I also remember loving the scene from the image I posted. I mean, a boy, his bike and an alien. As a boy, who had a bike and would have loved to have an alien, it was easy for me to put myself into that role. Which I think helped fuel my love of movies at a young age. It was, rather IS, fun for me to put myself in the role of a character in a movie and just, pretend. It's an escape, and I do like to try to be the best escape artist I know.
Overall this was such a great and fun movie to see as a kid. It had scary sections. It had parts that made me laugh. Overall my feeling was, amazement.
Star Wars -Return of the Jedi: This I saw with either one or both of my Godparent's daughters in Wisconsin Rapids. I was a bit older when we saw this, but that sense of being amazed didn't change. At this point of my life, more of my nerd-dom started to kick in. I was familiar with the previous two Star Wars movies and had a small stash of Star Wars books as well. Even at that age, about 10, I remember being disappointed by certain things in that movie. Mainly the Ewoks. They seemed to my young mind (and to my adult mind) unnecessary and just sort of...tacked on.
Just the same, it was so cool to see this movie at the theatre. This one really reinforced how some movies are just better on the big screen.
Even if you have a large TV, it's not the same. Even if you have surround sound at your house, still not the same. There is something about the experience of being at the theatre, at least for me. Besides the big screen and the sound, there are the intangibles. The feeling of being at the theatre is different. Plus, there is the audience. I know people sometimes complain about their fellow humans at the movies, but my experience tells me, they are usually more fun than anything.
Case in point: Back in the day went to see Star Trek: First Contact. As the movie is nearing the end, it becomes clear that Vulcans have become attracted by a space ship that was launched from Earth. As this becomes revealed, several rows of people in the front start clapping, stand up and start cheering. It was a moment that was both funny and, well, sweet in it's sincerity. They were genuinely happy with the way the movie was coming to an end.
As I bring this ramble to an end, my point is this, I am glad that people still see movies on a regular basis. There are so many options to just stay home and watch movies, but the social experience of going to the theatre is something you just don't get at home.
Enjoy.
Not because I don't like to, in fact I love seeing movies in the theatre. If I had the money and the time, I'd see movies at the theatre on a regular basis. Certainly more often than I do. As is it, the constraints of being a single man and a Dad take precedent.
Regardless, I have always loved seeing movies on the big screen. I have such vivid memories of seeing movies as a kid at the theatre. Maybe it's because it was a treat. Perhaps it's because I was a kid, and it was such a different experience than anything else I'd ever done.
Here are a few memorable movies from my childhood that kindled my love for the big screen.
E.T. -The Extra Terrestrial: I believe I saw this with my Mom and Dad at my hometown theatre. Maybe my younger sister and my cousin. I know my cousin was there, because I have memories of him being scared shitless of E.T. Outside of that, I remember being awe-struck by seeing the movie. At the sheer size of it. At the sound, it seemed to come from everywhere. Oh ya, and I remember quickly having a crush on Drew Barrymore aka Gertie. For the record, I still have a crush on Ms. Barrymore.
I also remember loving the scene from the image I posted. I mean, a boy, his bike and an alien. As a boy, who had a bike and would have loved to have an alien, it was easy for me to put myself into that role. Which I think helped fuel my love of movies at a young age. It was, rather IS, fun for me to put myself in the role of a character in a movie and just, pretend. It's an escape, and I do like to try to be the best escape artist I know.
Overall this was such a great and fun movie to see as a kid. It had scary sections. It had parts that made me laugh. Overall my feeling was, amazement.
Star Wars -Return of the Jedi: This I saw with either one or both of my Godparent's daughters in Wisconsin Rapids. I was a bit older when we saw this, but that sense of being amazed didn't change. At this point of my life, more of my nerd-dom started to kick in. I was familiar with the previous two Star Wars movies and had a small stash of Star Wars books as well. Even at that age, about 10, I remember being disappointed by certain things in that movie. Mainly the Ewoks. They seemed to my young mind (and to my adult mind) unnecessary and just sort of...tacked on.
Just the same, it was so cool to see this movie at the theatre. This one really reinforced how some movies are just better on the big screen.
Even if you have a large TV, it's not the same. Even if you have surround sound at your house, still not the same. There is something about the experience of being at the theatre, at least for me. Besides the big screen and the sound, there are the intangibles. The feeling of being at the theatre is different. Plus, there is the audience. I know people sometimes complain about their fellow humans at the movies, but my experience tells me, they are usually more fun than anything.
Case in point: Back in the day went to see Star Trek: First Contact. As the movie is nearing the end, it becomes clear that Vulcans have become attracted by a space ship that was launched from Earth. As this becomes revealed, several rows of people in the front start clapping, stand up and start cheering. It was a moment that was both funny and, well, sweet in it's sincerity. They were genuinely happy with the way the movie was coming to an end.
As I bring this ramble to an end, my point is this, I am glad that people still see movies on a regular basis. There are so many options to just stay home and watch movies, but the social experience of going to the theatre is something you just don't get at home.
Enjoy.
Comments