Is being single really such a horrible thing?
Doing what you want when you want with who you want and where you want.
If I wake up and feel like going for a bike ride, I do. If I feel like working on said bikes while doing laundry and listening to Ella, guess what? I can.
This may seem odd coming from a person who's clearly on a dating site. However, hear me out. I'm not arguing against a relationship. Far from it. As the saying goes, no (wo)man is an island unto themselves. We need others to get through this life. Hell, if I tried to do things on my own, I'd either be dead or in jail by now.
What I am saying is, there seems to be a very high percentage of people who go head-long into a relationship, any relationship, just so they aren't alone. Because they are afraid of being alone. As if being alone is a disease and if you catch it, it spreads. As if there is no cure.
As I was working on this post, someone sent m a link to a website, quirkyalone.net. Now, it seems to be a bit more...orientated for women, I'll say that much up front. And it also seems to be focused on those in San Francisco. However, they sum things up like this:
"Quirkyalones are people who enjoy being single (but are not opposed to being in a relationship) and prefer being single to dating for the sake of being in a relationship. It’s a mindset.
Quirkyalone is not anti-love. It is pro-love. It is not anti-dating. It is anti-compulsory dating. We tend to be romantics. We prefer to be single rather than settle. In fact, the core of quirkyalone is the inability to settle. We spend a signficant chunk of our lives single because we hold relationships to a high standard."
I tend to agree with those points of view. I'm not saying I've always been there, but, I'm here now.
The point here is I value my time. I know we, as humans are social animals. I'm not anti-social. Frankly, I'd rather spend it alone doing something I enjoy than being with others, just for the sake of...being with others. In short, alone and lonely are not the same.
If you read this and have feedback, I'd love to hear it.
Enjoy

Comments