11


I am sure lots will be said and written about the World Trade Center attacks in New York City 11 years ago today.
It is hard, in some ways, to believe it has been 11 year.
In some ways for me it feels like it was only a year or two ago.
In other ways it feels like a dream sequence.
Regardless of how it feels, the simple facts tell me it's been 11 years.

I can still recall waking up and getting ready for what seemed like it would be just another day at the bike shop. I remember the skies were very bright and clear and blue. It seemed to be shaping up to be a gorgeous early fall day in the upper Midwest.

My roommate called me and told me I needed to turn the TV on and keep an eye on what was going on.

I was watching the TV as Tower 1 burned and saw the plane fly into Tower 2. I remember thinking "it accelerated just before impact." It also didn't seem real.

When I saw the second plane fly into Tower 2 I felt sick. I figured at that point it wasn't just an accident and that all bets were off the table. Something certainly wasn't right.

I eventually went in to work, though we closed early, as did most businesses that day.

None of us knew what to expect next. I mean, our country, the United States of American, was attacked on it's own soil. The worst attack since Pearl Harbor. Who knew what was next?

My next vivid memory post 9.11 is how quiet everything was and how empty the skies were. All flights (minus military planes) were grounded. It felt off. I also recall feeling unsure. What was next? I certainly didn't know.

Reflecting back on this event and those feelings 11 years later what I feel these days isn't a great sense of sadness or loss, but rather gratitude. Certainly my thoughts and prayers go to those family and friends who died in the attacks. But gratitude is where my heart lies.

Be well friends.

Comments